Tupholme Abbey Education pack
Between about 1160 and 1536 Tupholme Abbey was home to a community of Premonstratensian canons. After being closed by Henry VIII at the Reformation it was gradually demolished until only a single wall was left standing. But even though so little remains today, the evidence of the complex of buildings and the landscape in which they once stood has not disappeared completely.
This evidence includes stones which once made up the fabric of the abbey and which still remain at Tupholme today. In 2004 the Friends of Lincolnshire Archaeology in association with Heritage Lincolnshire began a project to record and analyse them and to use the information that was discovered to improve our understanding of what the abbey was like. The project was made possible by a Heritage Lottery Fund grant.
This education pack and the computer-generated images that accompany it are part of that project. They bring together the available evidence to reconstruct Tupholme Abbey and show what it might have looked like in the medieval period. The pack also describes the life of the canons who lived there and shows how the story of the abbey has been shaped by history over the centuries.