Historic Sites in the Care of the Trust
Sites managed by the Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire
Hussey Tower was once the impressive manorial home of Sir John Hussey, a member of the court of Henry VIII. It was built in around 1450 by Richard Benyngton, collector of customs and excise in Boston, which was at the time, the wealthiest medieval port in England.
The tower was constructed entirely of hand made red brick produced using local clay and was originally part of a large manor house, including a great hall, servants quarters, kitchens, stables and a large gatehouse. The tower was reserved for the high status accommodation of the Lord and his family.
Take a journey into Boston's medieval past and visit one of the earliest brick buildings in the county.
Hussey Tower - the property is managed by the
Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire by agreement with
Boston Borough Council
The site of Hussey Tower is open from dawn until dusk all year round. The Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire currently organise two open days each year to allow access inside the tower.
Car Parking and Access
The tower is located only a short walking distance from car parks in the town centre. Follow signs to the docks on Southend and turn into Skirbeck Road. Wheelchair access is available at the main gate. The tower remains locked at all times except on an arranged open day.
Grid ref: TF 3308 4357
There are no toilet or refreshment facilities at the site. A display panel is erected onsite providing historical information for the visitor.
For further information contact the site manager on (01529) 461499 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For your safety
- Please take care as historic sites can be hazardous.
- Wilful damage to the monument is an offence.
- Unauthorised use of metal detectors is prohibited.